Familiarize Yourself with These Post-Operative Instructions
After your dental surgery, you will want to ensure that you take care of yourself the best way possible. That is the reason we have developed this page devoted to post-operative instructions and tips. If you ever have a question post-op, please contact us immediately.
Your Role as a Post-Op Patient
After undergoing any kind of surgical treatment at Belle Meade Family Dentistry, you will be given a list of things to do and not to do. It is critical that you follow any guidelines. As a post-op patient, you have an extraordinary amount of responsibility for your comfort and speedy recovery. If you do not understand any instructions, please let us know and we will be happy to explain them more thoroughly.
Common Post-Op Instructions
- If the dentist prescribes you with medications after your surgery, take them or apply them as directed. Make every effort not to skip a dose. If you do skip a dose, call the office rather than doubling up.
- Eat soft foods after surgery, as they will feel more comforting on your teeth and gums. You may want to avoid excessively hot or cold drinks.
- Some slight bleeding at the site of incisions is common post-op. However, if the bleeding is excessive or does not stop, call us for directions.
- Do not try to remove any sutures (stitches) on your own.
- Take it easy after dental surgery. Try to clear your schedule for the rest of the day. Your body may need the break to recuperate.
- If any permanent items, such as dental posts or crowns become loose post-op, contact us immediately for instructions.
- Avoid chewing gum or eating hard foods (such as candies) after surgical procedures.
Again, depending upon your procedure, you will receive additional instructions to stay healthy and keep the area clean.
Planning a surgical procedure at Belle Meade Family Dentistry in Nashville, TN? Read over your post-op instructions before and after surgery to ensure that you follow the guidelines. If you develop any complications, or have concerns, call us at (615) 298-2030.